Thursday, August 27, 2009

So then what'd you do?

We went on with life. That's the only way to explain the last few months. Ben healed, he's done all his required bloodwork, doctor appointments, taking his meds, etc. Our daily thoughts shifted from the transplant and the recovery to where to vacation, who should do the dishes, where to go for dinner on Friday night. We spent most evenings in Ben's parents pool, watching Miss J grow more daring with her diving and swimming skills, and preparing to send her off to first grade. We took off to Great Wolf Lodge, Kings Island and Holiday World (despite the fact that Ben can't ride roller coasters just yet - boy that was fun keeping him off of them) and we played tons and tons of Wii games.

It's hard to express what a luxary it is to have a normal, boring day. We take so much for granted, until there's a threat of it all going away. I hate that Ben had to go through this transplant. I hate the disease that could have killed him. I hate that for a while, Miss J shut herself off to Ben. And yet, something good has to come out of this. And it did. Thankfully, amazingly, Ben is doing great. Miss J seems to have overcome most of her fear and she's so in love with her daddy. I can also say that despite statistics pointing the other way, our marriage came through the past year stonger than ever. The divorce rate for couples where one partner has a chronic illness is 75%. I'm not going to say I'm shocked by that. I've told Ben this would have all been so much easier if I didn't love him. I can see how the stress and feeling like a single parent would crumble a marriage. Especially one that already had problems. I think we're good though. Unless any of you see him out running around with someone else. In which case, my threat** of "I'll remove that new liver with a rusty spoon and my bare hands" comes in to play.

**For any of you that don't know us, please understand we have a slightly twisted sense of humor. I would never actually use a rusty spoon to remove my husband's liver. Even if he was cheating on me. That would be horrible. I'm not really like that. I am a loving, kind human being. . .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I would use a rusty knife ;)

1 comment:

  1. I was pleasantly surprised today when I checked back here to see an update. It is great to know that life does go on. The roller coaster is a great metaphor now, isn't it?

    Best to you all.

    Side note: Alan and I watched an old movie last night called True Romance (Quinten Tarrintino, yes!), and it was full of big time actors (many short-lived in the film). One was Christopher Walken. We all know how crazy weird that guy is, and he fulfills the role in this movie. He reminds me of you and Ben with regard to the "more cowbells" thing. It's pretty viotent, but typical Tarrintino, with just enough humor to make me laugh uncomfortably in a lot of scenes.

    Anyway, great hearing from you. Also, what happened to your other blog?

    ReplyDelete