Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Back to work

After being off work for six weeks, Ben has offically went back to work. Part of getting to go back so early is due to his job. He's a graphic designer so it's not a physically demanding job. He has very limited exposure to people at work, with no exposure to the general public. He can get up any time he needs to to take meds, get some water, and using the wound vac at work isn't a problem and frankly, he likes his work. It's kind of the perfect type of job to go back to. If he was in construction, a delivery person, worked in retail or food service, etc. there's no way he'd be back at work already.

Yesterday was his first day back and when I checked on him (you know I had to check on him), he said that he wasn't tired at work like he was before the transplant. When he got home, he had some lower back pain and some pain in his incision. Nothing too bad, he didn't even take a pain pill for it and it was gone by this morning. We think it was from him leaning back too far in his desk chair. Since those stomach muscles are still healing and are very weak, even a tiny movement past his normal range can feel like he's done several sets of crunches. I sent him off with a throw pillow this morning and instructions to use it. Hopefully that will do the trick. If not, it will probably ease up in a few days as his muscles work some kinks out.

4 comments:

  1. We all know you are happy for him to be able to return to the office. But admit it Lori - after all this close bonding you miss him when he goes to work, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. How could I not? He has half my heart, "Miss J" has the other half. But he went through all of this so that he could live a life. As hard as it is to let him go, as much as I miss him during the day, not every transplant patient gets to go back to work this soon. Some not at all. My joy over his progress far outweighs my missing him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely amazing! Well done, Ben! I'm so glad for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing you are back to work so soon. I new in my heart you would do great! I am so happy for all of you!

    Thanks Lori for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete