Monday, April 6, 2009

This week's clinic update - more good stuff!

Ben is now down to clinic every other week! I can't believe it will be two whole weeks without a doctor appointment. He does have to have to go in next Monday for blood work but that's no big deal at all. The surgeon is very happy that his levels continue to come down, and his Bilirubin is down to 1.9, from a high of 18 in November. He's now down to just four prescription meds on a daily basis along with some vitamins and we just started week six post transplant. He's just speeding right along.

One of the things the surgeon will be discussing with Ben at his next appointment is if he needs to continue on the VAC or if he can stop using it. I know Ben's tired of carting the machine around everywhere (it's in a black bag which we lovingly call his "murse" = man purse) and the tape really bothers his skin. Just imagine peeling a layer of skin off of your entire mid section every two or three days, he says that's what it feels like, and I can vouch, that's what it sounds like. After seeing the results though, I can understand why so many doctors recommend this machine. It really does an amazing job.

So that's all the news for today. I hope everyone has a great week :)

3 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC! We are all so happy to hear Ben's progress. Sounds like you can celebrate big for Easter. (Maybe that will make up for such a lousy Thanksgiving.) Love you both, Sandi and fanily. xoxoxoxoxo
    P.S. Give sweet Juliet our love. Bo and Dylan miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday I had a bad day: the sky was gray; the rain from the previous day overflowed the gutter and washed out the garden below; the repairs needed on my 9 year old car kept adding up; the dinner I had in the slow cooker burned; the sky was gray ALL DAY. Then, I read your blog and decided that all of this trivial stuff keeping my mood blue was so unimportant. What's important is that Ben is getting better and that with each day he's getting stronger. See, this blog really benefits each and every one of us! Thanks, Lori and Ben. I will have a great week.

    Oh, by the way, the daffodils I planted on Thanksgiving day for Ben are up and budding and beautiful. Thankfully, they didn't get bit by the frost last night.

    ReplyDelete